Shop More Submit  Join Login
About Deviant Member General GuyUnited States Recent Activity
Deviant for 4 Years
Needs Premium Membership
Statistics 32 Deviations 442 Comments 6,523 Pageviews

Newest Deviations

Favourites

Groups

Activity


Link

NATO released new satellite images on Thursday, 28 August 2014, that show Russian combat forces engaged in military operations inside the sovereign territory of Ukraine. The images, captured in late August, depict Russian self-propelled artillery units moving in a convoy through the Ukrainian countryside and then preparing for action by establishing firing positions in the area of Krasnodon, Ukraine.

Dutch Brigadier General Nico Tak, director of the Comprehensive Crisis and Operations Management Centre (CCOMC), Allied Command Operations said the images confirmed what NATO and its Allies had been seeing for weeks from other sources.

"Over the past two weeks we have noted a significant escalation in both the level and sophistication of Russia's military interference in Ukraine," said Brigadier General Tak. "The satellite images released today provide additional evidence that Russian combat soldiers, equipped with sophisticated heavy weaponry, are operating inside Ukraine's sovereign territory," he said.

These latest images provide concrete examples of Russian activity inside Ukraine, but are only the tip of the iceberg in terms of the overall scope of Russian troop and weapons movements.

"We have also detected large quantities of advanced weapons, including air defence systems, artillery, tanks, and armoured personnel carriers being transferred to separatist forces in Eastern Ukraine," said Brigadier General Tak. "The presence of these weapons along with substantial numbers of Russian combat troops inside Ukraine make the situation increasingly grave," he said.

Also released were images showing substantial activity inside Russia in areas adjacent to the border with Ukraine. NATO believes this activity is being conducted in direct support to forces operating inside Ukraine, and is part of a highly coordinated and destabilising strategy.

 "Russia is reinforcing and resupplying separatist forces in a blatant attempt to change the momentum of the fighting, which is currently favouring the Ukrainian military," Brigadier General Tak said. "Russia's ultimate aim is to alleviate pressure on separatist fighters in order to prolong this conflict indefinitely, which would result in further tragedy for the people of Eastern Ukraine," he added.

The source of the images is an independent firm named Digital Globe. The images have not been altered or changed by NATO. Additional information has been added to identify locations, dates and equipment. DigitalGlobe images can be independently verified: www.digitalglobe.com


Well, hopefully this'll put paid to claims that the "seperatists" are just an independent group of rebels. Or maybe we're just in for some Olympics-level gymnastics from Russia and the conspiracy theorists who eat up everything they say.
api.viglink.com/api/click?form…

The German Federal Intelligence Service (BND) tapped at least one phone call of the then Foreign Minister of the United States of America, Hillary Clinton. Furthermore, the German government ordered to spy on a NATO partner. According to "Süddeutsche Zeitung" (SZ), NDR and WDR, this is the result from documents handed over to the US Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) by a BND spy. Markus R., who was arrested in July, confessed in the meantime to have forwarded at least 218 documents to the USA within the last two years.

USA uses the information in the dispute on US spying activities in Germany
The German government is by now aware of the sensitive nature of parts of these documents and the dimensions of the damage caused. Thus USA have now started to use the information provided by Markus R. in the current dispute on US spying activities in Germany. They consider Clinton's tapped phone call as prove that Germany also spied on the US. The US Foreign Minister John Kerry is said to have confronted the German Foreign Minister Frank-Walter Steinmeier with this matter. Denis McDonough, US President Barack Obama's Chief of Staff is alleged to have addressed the wiretapping when visiting the German Chancellery Minister Peter Altmaier.

German government sources deny systematic spying on the USA

However, German government sources deny systematic spying on the USA by the BND. Instead, the phone call made by Clinton during her term from a US government aircraft was intercepted unintentionally. The fact that the recording wasn't deleted immediately was called "idiocy" by a member of the government in Berlin. However, Clinton is supposedly not the only one: apparently, phone calls by US politicians and from other friendly nations have been repeatedly recorded and submitted to the respective BND President as instructed. According to government sources, it has never been intentional eavesdropping. Since summer of last year, an instruction by the Chancellery orders the immediate deletion of such material.

Secret statement specifies which countries are to be spied on
Markus R. submitted to the CIA a copy of the "Mission Statement of the Federal Government" (APB) for the German Intelligence Service, which is by now considered as similarly controversial in Berlin. It was issued in 2009 and is still valid. The statement specifies which topics the BND is to take care of and which countries are to be spied on. According to SZ, NDR and WDR the USA are not among them, but a NATO country for quite some years.

The Parliamentary Control Panel of the German Bundestag meanwhile requested the documents forwarded by Markus R., in order to gain an overview on the caused damage. In the German government it is being discussed to withhold the Mission Statement due to its particular need for protection. To date, the members of the Parliament don’t know the content of this paper. Upon request by NDR, WDR and SZ, the German government declined to comment due to the ongoing investigations against Markus R.


Hahaha, and after all that public whining and white knighting. Cheeky bastards. So we can stop whining about sovereign nations spying on each other now? Shit isn't new, the only thing that's changed is the methods.
Congress was shocked Thursday when a Syrian defector recounted how he documented Assad’s killing of over 11,000 innocents. But that’s only the tip of the iceberg, according to ‘Caesar.’

The regime of Syrian President Bashar al Assad is holding 150,000 civilians in custody, all of whom are at risk of being tortured or killed by the state, the Syrian defector known as “Caesar” told Congress Thursday.

According to a senior State Department official, his department initially asked to keep this hearing -- in which Caesar displayed new photos from his trove of 55,000 images showing the torture, starvation, and death of over 11,000 civilians -- closed to the public, out of concerns for the safety of the defector and his family. Caesar smuggled the pictures out of Syria when he fled last year in fear for his life. Caesar’s trip had been in the works for months.

. . . 

The packed committee room sat in silent horror as new examples of Assad’s atrocities were splashed on the large television screens on the wall and displayed on large posterboards littered throughout the hearing room. Caesar spoke softly to his translator, Mouaz Moustafa, the executive director of the Syrian American Task Force, a Washington-based organization that works with both the Syrian opposition and the U.S. State Department.

“I am not a politician and I don’t like politics,” Caesar said through his translator. “I have come to you honorable Congress to give you a message from the people of Syria… What is going on in Syria is a genocidal massacre that is being led by the worst of all the terrorists, Bashar al Assad.”

The international community must do something now or the 150,000 civilians still held in regime custody could meet the same bleak fate, Caesar said. America had been known as a country that protected civilians from atrocities, he argued, referring to past humanitarian crises such as ethnic cleansing in Yugoslavia.

“These bodies that we have (in the photos)… no one here can bring their life back to them, but I am here to tell you there is more than 150,000 people still incarcerated in the jails of Bashar al Assad and their fate will be the same fate as those who I have taken pictures of,” he said. That figure could not be independently verified.

. . . 

“We rarely get smoking gun evidence in my business… but what we found was just that,” said Crane. “The photos show crimes the likes of which we have not seen since Auschwitz.”


Link to images (WARNING: Graphic). For those who want to skip the link, it shows emaciated prisoners naked lying on the ground or dead, with torture marks all over body.

I didn't expect it to be actually be comparable to the Holocaust, but it really looks like someone just took Auschwitz photos in color. Absolutely grotesque. Hopefully this spurs some action.
Malaysia airlines crash map by TheRedSnifit
Malaysia airlines crash map
By looking at where the plane exploded, and then drawing a circle around it as large as the radius of the missile used to downed it minus the plane's flight altitude (42km-10km=32km), we find that we are still within the separatist area (or Russia).
Loading...
Mike Fireball, the guy who wrote the article that inspired my username, commented on my Twitter: mobile.twitter.com/mwstfl/stat…

This is a huge milestone in my life. Really. Feel happy for me, jerks.
  • Listening to: Soundtracks
  • Reading: The Dilbert Principle
  • Watching: Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson
  • Playing: The Wonderful 101
  • Eating: Human flesh.
  • Drinking: Plutonium

deviantID

TheRedSnifit
General Guy
United States
I'm boring and apathetic.

Current Residence: Ledge in World 3-3
Favourite genre of music: Industrial Metal & Punk
Favourite style of art: Burning things
MP3 player of choice: iPod Touch
Shell of choice: Spiny blue---this is about Mario? Right? RIGHT?
Favourite cartoon character: Catbert
Personal Quote: Watch the world burn to ashes
Interests

AdCast - Ads from the Community

×

Comments


Add a Comment:
 
:icontheroyalcrownjewel:
TheRoyalCrownJewel Featured By Owner May 25, 2014  Student General Artist
TurkEvulture has gone and done it... he blocked me. For no reason at all.
Reply
:icontheredsnifit:
TheRedSnifit Featured By Owner May 27, 2014
Surprise!
Reply
:icontronmanz:
TronmanZ Featured By Owner Jun 7, 2014
He also blocked me.
Reply
:iconwerewolfferret96:
Werewolfferret96 Featured By Owner Jun 24, 2013
Yo! I got blocked by Vulpimo too!
Reply
:icontheroyalcrownjewel:
TheRoyalCrownJewel Featured By Owner Feb 16, 2013  Student General Artist
I was blocked by hoggys2much, too. That Nintendo-hating troll gets on my nerves.

And now, he's (at least temporarily) gone.

"Now he's gone, now he's gone.
Like a steam locomotive running down the track,
He's gone, he's gone
And nothing's gonna bring him back.
He's gone."
-He's Gone, by the Grateful Dead
Reply
:icontheredsnifit:
TheRedSnifit Featured By Owner Feb 16, 2013
I thought I was the only person to know those lyrics :p
Reply
:icontokotiger:
tokotiger Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2012  Student Digital Artist
This is terrible for the future of Bayonetta as a franchise, it'll never be on Xbox or PS consoles again because when this game inevitably sells poorly Sega's just going to write it off as "no one is interested in Bayonetta anymore".

No smart person would buy a Wii U just for one game.
Reply
:icontheredsnifit:
TheRedSnifit Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2012
when this game inevitably sells poorly Sega's just going to write it off as "no one is interested in Bayonetta anymore".

Except, Sega already decided that nobody was interested in Bayonetta and dropped it, which is why Ninty's calling the shots; apparently, XBox and PS consoles suck at selling non-exclusive games that don't play like CoD. But hey, you enjoy making up reasons for your allegiance to your underpowered PC-in-a-box; I'll enjoy Bayonetta 2 and my other niche games.
Reply
:icontokotiger:
tokotiger Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2012  Student Digital Artist
That's highly disingenuous. Sega would've been able to fund the game for several platforms by themselves but Nintendo opportunistically swooped in and stole it for their annual attempt at "bringing hardcore gamers back" which never works for them. They do this every single time they launch a new system: they find themselves hounded by their previous system's "kiddy" image and want to win back the hardcore gamers, so they spend money to acquire a few mature exclusives, which inevitably fail to find their audience on their piece of shit system, and then Nintendo gives up and go back to making toothless games for grandmas and 5 year olds, leaving the core gamers to rot. It happened on the Gamecube, it happened again on the Wii and it's happening again now.

And there's a ton of non-exclusive games on these systems that don't play like COD that sell extremely well. Haven't you ever played Assassin's Creed? Bioshock? Dishonored? Mass Effect? You don't have a clue what you're talking about, and as far as I can see, you're just one of those Nintendo fanboys that treats it as if COD and Mario are the only two games that exist. There is a middle ground you know.

I also find it laughable that you call the other systems underpowered when your system of choice for the last 6 years has been running on hardware barely more powerful than an abacus. And it's even more funny now that Nintendo's set themselves up to be the underpowered one yet again going into the next generation, once MS and Sony release their powerhouses that'll blast it out of the water.
Reply
:icontheredsnifit:
TheRedSnifit Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012
That's highly disingenuous. Sega would've been able to fund the game for several platforms by themselves but Nintendo opportunistically swooped in and stole it

Except that isn't what happened. SEGA is broke, so they dropped Bayonetta so they could focus on their "core" franchises (read: Sonic). Platinum started shopping around their prototype and lo and behold, Nintendo picked it up. as such, it's reasonable to assume that there would be no Bayonetta 2 without Nintendo.

And there's a ton of non-exclusive games on these systems that don't play like COD that sell extremely well. Haven't you ever played Assassin's Creed? Bioshock? Dishonored? Mass Effect? You don't have a clue what you're talking about, and as far as I can see, you're just one of those Nintendo fanboys that treats it as if COD and Mario are the only two games that exist. There is a middle ground you know.

There really isn't as much as you think. Take Resident Evil; after CODE: Veronica, Capcom wasn't going to fund anymore, until Ninty stepped in, worked out an exclusivity contract, and (presumably) funded REmake, Zero, and 4. Capcom makes it multi-plat again but realizes that XBots aren't going to pay for survival horror, and we got 5, ORC, and 6.

I also find it laughable that you call the other systems underpowered when your system of choice for the last 6 years has been running on hardware barely more powerful than an abacus.

No, my system of choice has been a PC that will make the next three generations of XBox/PS look horribly out-dated, so I have plenty of room to mock you for your underpowered PC-in-a-box.

Nintendo's set themselves up to be the underpowered one yet again going into the next generation, once MS and Sony release their powerhouses that'll blast it out of the water.

Probably not. You may not realize this, but Microsoft and Sony are more worried about profits than the integrity of their fanbase, and are probably noticing how their last consoles (and the Vita) were horribly outsold while costing them hundreds for every unit sold. So while there's no doubt that they'll be more powerful than the U, the difference most likely won't bedramatic.
Reply
(2 Replies)
Add a Comment: